To lead a team of Material Planners to ensure material is available to support the build plan and any risks to supply are highlighted and resolved in a timely fashion to minimise the risk to production. To take the lead with problematic suppliers along with engineering, purchasing and other stakeholders to develop corrective action plans and timings.
The lead material planner has a responsibility to achieve the inbound budget and to challenge the costs to reduce the CPU (cost per unit) overall for inbound freight.
The lead material planner will need to investigate risk suppliers and understand the reason for the risks, implementing actions to contain the situation and countermeasures for recurrence prevention. They will also need to investigate and action systemic issues with processes which impact on material supply.
The Lead Material Planner will lead a team of Material Planners that ensure :-
- Managing the parts availability to the scheduled demand, managing the impact of schedule changes
- Ensuring right first time delivery from suppliers and to budget
- Identify risks to supply continuity and ensure they are acted upon to minimise the impact to production.
- Where risks exist then the impact needs to be shared and communicated to stakeholders
- Lead complex supplier situations (commercial, capacity, quality) which may have an impact on supply either short or long term
- Problem solving skill to understand root causes and to prevent recurrence of supply related issues
- Ensure supplier performance data is captured and updated in SPRS for line stoppages, misfits & arrears to support corrective action plans and supplier selection process
- Experience of supplier capability & capacity with regards to manufacturing and supply
- Recover costs incurred due to supplier responsible concerns back from the supply base
- Manage the inbound transport with the support of the logistics partner
- Manage and achieve the target transport costs as a minimum with a drive to reduce transport costs for the allocated supplier base
- Balance the parts inventory against the transport efficiency
- Manage data accuracy for the suppliers within ERP
- Minimise the need for direct deliveries (rather than planned pick-ups) and emergency shipments
- Manage the emergency delivery budget allocating responsibility for cost
- Liaise with aftermarket parts business to supply parts where this is commercially viable
- Ensure obsolescence does not result from engineering changes or new model revisions / introductions
- Liaise with the New Model Launch teams to ensure smooth introduction and handover of parts from prototype builds, into pre-production and then to serial production build
- The candidate will need a full clean driving license & passport and be able to travel in UK, EU and rest of the world dependent on the supplier activities required.
Qualification & Experience:
- Has worked with suppliers either in a material planning role, STA (supplier technical assistance) role with supply chain experience or in a commercial purchasing role with supply chain included
- Using daily KPI's (e.g. line stops, misfits, arrears) to establish actions and strategies to improve supplier performance
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving, using data to establish root cause and countermeasures
- Diagnose the reasons for a supplier's performance and establish action plans with cross functional teams
- Ability to use ERP systems
- Demonstrate budget controls and actions to reduce transport costs
- Managed a team of people either as part of role or within project roles
- Automotive experience is desired but not essential
- Able to lead a team and work with cross function groups
- Be able to diagnose the team's priorities
- Experience in 1:1 reviews
- Be able to use data and information to establish risk and develop action plans
- Communication skills with team and management
- Able to present to wider group including senior management