In West Sussex the Transport Co-ordination manage the School Crossing Patrol Service. This West Sussex service operates out of three bases in Chichester, Horsham and Worthing.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
We are looking for School Crossing Patrol to join our School Transport team based across the county.
Salary Range: £2,078 - £4,240 per annum, pro rata'd, term time only 38 weeks, plus 5.2 weeks annual leave paid (£18,516 - £18,887 per annum, full time equivalent).
Work Location: Broad Bridge Heath Depot, Horsham and Clapham Depot (near Worthing), Drayton Depot (near Chichester).
Hours per week: Part time, 5 - 10 hours per week.
We will review applications on a rolling basis therefore, you will be contacted within 2 weeks of your application.
We are currently seeking multiple School Crossing Patrols to join all 3 Depots Staffing one of the 130 Crossing Sites within West Sussex, operated by the Transport Provision Team.
To provide a valuable and reliable service to children and other pedestrians at a designated Crossing Site by assisting them to cross the road safely on their way to and from school.
You will be standing for long periods, holding the 'lollipop' pole in all weather conditions and will exposed to traffic noise and fumes, dirt and dust, and the hazards inherent in stopping cars.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to understand and carry out the procedures for safely stopping traffic.
- Good oral communication skills to be able to deal effectively with both children and colleagues, and other adults where necessary.
- Good perception and knowledge of car stopping times, in particular the effect that adverse weather conditions have on these.
- Ability to remain calm when put under pressure by drivers or pedestrians.
- A basic level of literacy and numeracy sufficient to follow detailed written instructions and procedures and record necessary information during the course of the duty.
- To be familiar with the relevant sections of the Highway Code and its applications.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- No specific qualifications are required.
- Experience of working with children. Desirable
- Experience of providing a service to others. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive pay.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00878 .
Struggling to apply? Book onto a Computer Buddy Session in a library near you to get help navigating our application form.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only