Police Enquiry Officer
Contract: Permanent, 15 Hours Per Week (2 week shift pattern)
Location: Newton Abbot
Salary: Starts at £21,837 rising by yearly increments to a maximum of £24,156 per annum
Part time opportunity with the potential to earn up to £10,605 per year
Would you like to support your community with contacting the Police? Do you want to be part of the re-opening of 5 Police Enquiry Offices across Devon and Cornwall, supporting victims and enabling crimes to be reported? If so, apply to be one of 24 new Police Enquiry Officers they are recruiting.
The role includes:
- being the first point of contact for reported crimes and incidents of a policing nature coming to the front offices and via 101 and other non-urgent means,
- providing an initial response to a wide range of enquiries from the public and other agencies, which may include offering advice, information and guidance on legislation, policing responsibilities, and police complaints and, where appropriate and necessary, 'signposting' to partner agencies,
- receiving and recording information appropriately and accurately,
- dealing supportively and reassuringly with witnesses, victims, and the general public escalating to other police resources where appropriate.
The Police Enquiry Offices will be open from Monday to Saturday from 10am to 3pm. Successful candidates will work 3 x 5-hour days a week following a two-week rotating shift pattern, which allows for 7 days off continuously over the 2 weeks.
What benefits you get if you join them
- A completive salary with yearly increments. £8,852 - £9,792 for a 15-hour week
- Plus, Weekend Working Allowance. Approximately £735 - £813 approximately a year
- 24 days a year leave entitlement, with an increase to 30 days after 5 years continuous employment, plus bank holidays, pro rata for part time workers.
- Sick pay allowance, variable in accordance with length of service.
- Local government pension scheme.
- Supportive training and mentoring, including with IT and systems.
- Access to the Blue Light Card Scheme for discounts and services .
- Access to Group insurance scheme (via salary sacrifice scheme).
- Support networks, free Employees Assistance Programme, including for immediate family, and Occupational Health and wellbeing services.
- Continuing Professional Development.
- Making a difference within your community.
What they are looking for from applicants
- Proven customer focus approach.
- Excellent communication skills, including experience of dealing with conflict.
- Ability to work under challenging and difficult circumstances.
- Effective team working skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Word with the ability to use multiple bespoke IT systems (or similar).
- Full driving licence, unless prevented by reason of disability.
Appointments from this recruitment campaign will be from December 2022 and January 2023. For the first 4 weeks there will the requirement for successful candidates to travel to other police enquiry stations for initial training and mentoring. Where required, the use of a pool or hire car will be provided and the successful candidates will not be expected to include in their own time any excess travel time outside of their normal commute. Please be aware that there may also be a need for the days / hours worked to be adjusted to accommodate training during this initial period; as such, a degree of flexibility is required.
If you feel you are a suitable candidate and would like to work for Devon and Cornwall Police, then please click apply to be redirected to their website where you can complete your application.