$15K SIGN ON BONUS!!! JOB SUMMARY
Provides leadership and oversight to the ICU/CSU Unit. Ensures the delivery of optimal patient care through the coordination of clinical activities, staff supervision, personnel leadership, and department organization. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Duties
- Must be able to prioritize work and duties well and must work well under stressful situations
- Must demonstrate good communication and customer service skills with a variety of patients, physicians, and other health care providers both internal and external to the organization, and must make accurate clinical decisions and judgments quickly.
- Provides input for formulating policies and procedures for the ICU/CSU unit.
- Assumes responsibility for own personal continuing education and developmental needs, attends, meeting, workshops and conventions to enrich personal knowledge, growth and skills.
- Serves and attends hospital and/or committees as appointed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the CNO.
- Says what needs to be said. Provides action-oriented feedback to others. Confronts situational problems directly and quickly. Makes unpopular decisions when necessary.
- Able to get things done through both formal and informal channels. Understands logic behind key policies and programs. Possesses a high degree of "culture" sense.
- Keeps up with industry events, trends and related information that may affect business unit. Knows competition and particulars of individual market place. Maintains a safe work environment for staff and patients. Comes to work in neat, clean, and pressed department specified attire. Submits professional, well prepared reports and assignments.
- Hires the best available candidate - either internal or external. Is not afraid to select strong candidates. Assembles talented mix of skills and abilities. Completes 60 & 90 day touch downs. Aligns appropriate mentors and preceptors for new hires. Utilizes People Answers to hire the "right" candidate(s).
- Provides challenge and stretch in project and task assignments. Maintains an awareness of employees' personal career goals. Encourages direct reports to accept greater responsibility; provides necessary support and authority. Creates aggressive development plans and then implements and monitors them regularly.
- Provides clear directions/delegation. Distributes workload appropriately. Maintains an on-going dialogue with employees to ensure continual progress. Brings out the best in employees. Facilitates the development of autonomy and leadership skills in supervisors through delegation, coaching, role modeling behaviors and acting as a resource person on a consistent basis.
- Able to present new and original ideas. Exercises good judgment regarding what, how and when to make major changes. Encourages and facilitates effective brainstorming.
- Knows and communicates an appropriate set of values. Adheres to these values even when in conflict with other goals. Communicate the Mission, Vision and Values of the hospital.
- Collects sufficient information to make timely and effective decisions. Does not succumb to "analysis paralysis". Consults with appropriate subordinates, peers and senior managers before making decisions. Does not procrastinate when making difficult decisions.
- Relates well to diverse groups of people throughout the organization. Able to build rapport and form constructive relationships. Is characterized by diplomacy and tact. Able to diffuse tense situations.
- Maintains most cost effective strategies to meet budgetary expectations. Consistently evaluates for strategies to reduce labor and supply costs. Reviews Position Control monthly for accuracy. Monitors overtime utilization concurrently. Minimizes contract labor usage consistently.
Qualifications: PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Employee scheduling: Ensures that the critical needs of the patients are met by effectively managing human resources and optimizing the number and type of skilled, qualified workers available for scheduling and daily staffing.
- Staffing - Ensures safe, quality care by maintaining the appropriate number and skill mix of clinical staff.
- Ensures that all workers are treated fairly. Standardizes scheduling and staffing policies with respect to shift patterns, overtime, weekends/holidays worked, preceding days off, staff/skill mix and staff preferences to ensure that all workers are treated fairly and equitably.
- Develops flexible schedules: Creates flexible staff schedules by scheduling and utilizing resources at the right time and place within the care continuum to maximize nursing staff productivity, meet budgetary targets and enhance the quality of care delivery.
- Cultivates and promotes open inter and intra departmental communication. Provides regularly scheduled staff meetings to cascade needed information. Reinforces the use of hand off communication and SBAR. Role models pride and ownership.
- Counsels employees and, as necessary, takes appropriate disciplinary action for infractions of policy and Code of Conduct in accordance with hospital policy. Always criticizes privately and praises publicly. Determines qualifications and competence of staff by: assessing interactions, shadowing, rounding, auditing documentation, and completing competencies annually. Maintains written records for tracking time and attendance with timely follow up.
- Investigates, evaluates, and responds to all complaints and takes measures to correct problems through to resolution. Closes the loop timely with all parties when following up on complaints. Responsible for follow up on Employee Engagement surveys to delineate areas of focus, champion successes, and celebrate positive outcomes.
- Provides consistent direction for enhanced patient flow for all departments, House Supervisors and Shift Managers to improve and maximize patient flow on all shifts.
- Articulates and utilizes factual data for problem solving patient and/or staff related conflicts in a way that demonstrates a positive and cooperative manner. Responds to all assigned tasks timely via email, verbal or written communication.
- Drives departmental processes and communication toward prioritizing quality outcomes including aggressive core measure compliance. Routinely shares outcome metrics with all staff.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Adheres to scheduling requests of the department (Works weekends, no "special days off", no exceptions, unless in school).
- Adheres to the Customer Service Standards of Texas Regional Medical Center while representing the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department and complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Utilizes computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes annual education requirements and maintains regulatory requirements.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears identification while on duty.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion and has not missed any mandatory in-services.
- Attends at least 8 staff meetings annually, is responsible for information presented at monthly staff meetings that he/she is unable to attend.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Graduation from an accredited school of professional nursing with the completion of a BSN required, MSN preferred ARDCS or CCI certification preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience as supervisor and acute care clinical skills
- Current professional nurse license issued and/or recognized by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas.
- Current BLS and ACLS certification.
- Ability to communicate in English; both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, and Outlook.
- Strong leadership, communication and organizational skills required
- Current regulatory knowledge (CMS and Joint Commission) and current evidence based practice knowledge.
- Strong experience with service excellence culture
- For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Job: Managers and Directors
Primary Location: Sunnyvale, Texas
Facility: Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Sunnyvale
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days