Position Type: Part Time
Hourly or Salary: Hourly
Hourly Rate: $14.00Overview
The Greenhouse team is dedicated to elevating the level of interior plant and floral displays to the highest quality of care and attractiveness. This new team member would be integral in regular plant care, installation and deinstallation of displays in the Museum, Lilly House and other campus locations. Understanding of floral policies and cleanliness in a gallery setting will be critical to success.
The person would play an important part in installation and maintenance of seasonal and year-round displays including Spring Blooms, Harvest and Winterlights. This may include both interior and exterior displays. Understanding and experience in plant care, fertilization, pest scouting is a must. and ability to obtain Indiana Private Applicators Pesticide License is helpful.
Special events and programs also provide an opportunity to collaborate with members of other departments such as Free First Thursday activities, Art in Bloom and floral designs for Advancement team events. Ability to make floral designs beneficial.
Good communication skills are required. Must be able to answer plant care and general Newfields information questions and to instruct volunteers.Responsibilities
- Perform daily horticultural maintenance of greenhouse crops, including watering, fertilization, grooming, repotting, pest scouting and control; drawing on knowledge and experience working with live plant material.
- Work with staff to produce and maintain interesting plant displays in the greenhouse & other Museum buildings.
- Work collaboratively with Newfields team to create successful seasonal displays for Winterlights, Spring Blooms and Harvest
- Aid in exceptional guest service by providing general information about greenhouse plants and Newfields activities.
- Supervise and train volunteers by delegating task assignments and monitor work to be completed in an efficient manner.
- Participate and assist with preparations for special events, workshops and classes. This will include creating floral designs.
- Provide general greenhouse/headhouse maintenance along with plant care. Transport plant material across campus. Pick up supplies and plants as needed. This includes ability to lift 40 pounds unaided.
- Other duties as assigned
Educations and/or Experience
- Knowledge of tropical plant care and indoor gardening is required. Orchid growing experience is a plus.
- Must have ability to work collaboratively with Greenhouse team and other Newfields departments and effectively communicate with team members, guests and volunteers.
- Must be able to complete tasks while following Museum floral policy for preservation of art and the venues where plants are used for display.
- Must have an ability to create attractive displays and color combinations
- Must have valid driver's license and the ability to obtain Indiana pesticide applicators license
Physical Demands of Work Environment
- Post high school training or specialized education
- Plant care/ gardening experience required
- Customer service experience is helpful
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of that that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Physical demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs and ladders; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/ or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.Work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Though often in a climate controlled situation, employee may often be working in the hot and humid setting of the Greenhouse. At times, outdoor work in all weather conditions may be required.