Essence of Position
To provide a pleasant and efficient Meat/Seafood Department experience by actively engaging guests, ensuring they receive unparalleled hospitality and professional service. Shared Expectations
for all roles within our company include, but are not limited to the following:
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere for everyone.
- Embracing Yoke's Core Values and Mission Statement as an integral part of your contribution to our team.
- Promoting Yoke's sales and company growth by patronizing Yoke's stores and representing our company in the community with a positive message.
- Participating enthusiastically with genuine care for our shared success, always remembering we are the owners of Yoke's.
Tasks of Position
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401K - Matching up to 4%
- Life Insurance
- Medical Insurance (no deductible option)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Short-term Disability (Idaho/Montana)
- Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave
The following are core and essential responsibilities of this position. Associates are responsible for completing any and all duties assigned as required for the successful operation of our business. All associates are required to perform their job duties in a manner which upholds the integrity and honesty of our company.
- Reporting for assigned shifts on time, and on a regular basis, capable of communicating clearly and demonstrating suitable physical abilities to safely perform assigned tasks and duties, prepared to provide excellent service.
- Promoting sales through active discussions with guests, offering product recommendations, and discussing current promotions and service information. (Examples may include: asking guests if they need other products to accompany requested items, chatting about Yoke's signature items, fresh board and sweet deal suggestions, or providing information on recipes, products, and preparation advise).
- Providing guest service by greeting guests, and informing them of special features, product information, and services offered by the Meat/Seafood Department. Services include, but are not limited to the following: breaking down package sizes, sharing cooking methods, slicing ham, bacon, roasts, steaks, cleaning crab, wrapping in special containers as requested, seasoning roasts, grinding pork, ordering bulk product. Special features include: Certified Hereford Beef, Prairie Fresh Pork, Draper Valley Chicken, Yoke's Fresh Sausage, Meals in Minutes, Seasoned chicken, and Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) regulations.
- Understanding and capable of correct procedures for cutting, trimming, and boning carcass sections or prime cuts of all meat and seafood species. In addition, meat cutters may be assigned to assist in the following tasks when needed: setting cases, prepping salads, pulling dated product, opening, closing, code dating, operating sales counter, monitoring stock levels, weighing, pricing rotating, labeling COOL, ordering, preparing meals in minutes, timing, stacking product type, and using "This One's On Us" cards to "Make Our Guests Crazy About Us!"
- Operating (at minimum) the following equipment in a correct and safe manner: com-line, phone, shirk wrapper, Slicer, knives, scales, box knives, vacuum pack machine, cuber, grinder, and saw, and wrapping with freezer paper, clear plastic, and other containers.
- Assisting with training new Apprentice Meat Cutters.
- Completing any tasks as assigned by supervisory staff.
- Communicating and completing guests' special order requests with accuracy and timeliness.
- Mentoring new associates or associates who are new to the department or task and assuring a positive learning environment.
- Finding a way to make our guests happy.
- Ensuring all work performed in the department is completed in accordance with all local, state, federal and company rules, regulations, and policies regarding workplace safety, food handling safety, sanitation/housekeeping standards, and guest services.
- Participating actively in the Meat/Seafood Department's accident reduction plan including: cleaning floors, sanitizing, laundering towels/wash clothes, and recognizing shelf order, safety features of all machinery, store evacuation plan, robbery policy, health codes for bleach, HACCP, case temperatures, gloves, ice scoop, sink regulations, and storing regulations.
This job has no formal supervisory responsibilities. However, every Yoke's associate has a shared opportunity to be a leader on the job. The following quote exemplifies our belief in leadership for all associates:
"Whether you are the president of a company or the janitor, the moment you step from independence into interdependence in any capacity, you step into a leadership role. You are in a position of influencing other people." - Stephen CoveyQualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty sufficiently.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or GED; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.Language Skills
Reads and comprehends documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Writes routine reports and correspondence. Communicates effectively and pleasantly with guest, vendors and fellow associates at all times.Mathematical Skills
Performs mathematical skills using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, including using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Reasoning Ability
Applies common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Manages problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.Other Qualifications
Meets the state minimum requirement to work with slicers, saws, grinders, or other Seafood/Meat equipment and tools. Certificates & Licenses
Journey Meet Cutter Training
Valid State Food Handlers Permit
Valid Driver's License or State I.D. CardYoke's Provided Training
Meat Cutter Skills Training levels One, Two, and Three
Food Handler's Safety Training
Late Night Retail Safety Training
Yoke's Safety Orientation Training / Active Shooter
Yoke's Guest Service Training & Commitment
(Optional: Hepatitis A vaccination provided by Yoke's Pharmacy)Physical Demands & Safety Expectations
Most positions within Yoke's require physical effort to varying degrees. As such, associates are expected to be mindful of practicing Yoke's safety standards at all times. This may include using personal protective equipment when and where required, understanding ergonomic safety, chemical hazards, safe lifting techniques, lockout/tag out procedures, and emergency protocol. All associates are required to report accidents within 24 hours.
No associate may pose a direct threat to the health and safety of self or others by willfully engaging in unsafe behaviors.
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by you to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, you are regularly required to stand for prolonged periods of time, walk, use hands, fingers, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste, smell, talk, and hear.
Associate must continuously lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those you may encounter while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the associate is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.